Beginning Monday, August 3rd, the parking lot at the Jefferson County Courthouse will be closed as tuckpointing work begins on the building. The parking lot will remain closed through October OR project completion. The north doors will remain open unless work is being performed near the doors or a safety issue causes us to close them. The south doors will remain open for the duration of the project.
With tax season coming up, I have asked that work outside our office windows occur right away so we can potentially mitigate the noise, dust, etc. that this project will cause. My hope is that our side is complete before folks start coming in to make their property tax payments.
As always, there is a drop box located outside. Right now, it is next to the north doors, but will be moved to the south side of the building if there are any safety issues.
The Jefferson County Treasurers office is now open to in-person transactions from 8:00 AM-4:00 PM. The following guidelines will apply until further notice:
- Drivers License will be done by appointment only. Customers may make an appointment online (https://www.picktime.com/JeffersonCountyDL) or by calling the office. There will be no skills testing at this time. This includes motorcycle skills tests.
- Only the person needing the credential will be allowed in the office. Exceptions: minors who need parent/guardian signature & elderly/disabled who need assistance from a caregiver.
- Customers need to stop in the MV/Tax room to check in. You will be allowed into/out of the DL room by the staff member on duty (like a doctors office). Customers should not arrive more than five minutes before appointment and MAY be asked to wait outside. If a customer is more than five minutes late, that appointment will be cancelled.
- We encourage everyone to use iowadot.gov for anything that can be done remotely.
Motor Vehicle/Property Tax
- We will only allow three customers at a time into the MV/Tax room, and it will be on a first-come, first-served basis. Exceptions: more than one signature required on application. Customers will be allowed into the office by the staff member stationed at the desk outside our doors. Overflow customers will be asked to wait behind the table in the lobby and MAY be asked to wait outside.
- We encourage everyone to use iowatreasurers.org for vehicle renewals and tax payments.
- Our drop box will still be available for those who do not wish to come into the courthouse. The box will be checked throughout the work day.
THIS IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE BASED ON THE GUIDANCE OF PUBLIC HEALTH AND IDOT, AS WELL AS ANY PROCLAMATIONS MADE BY OUR GOVERNOR.
- Property tax/motor vehicle payments can be paid though the mail (PO Box 308), over the phone (641-472-2340/2349) or online at www.iowatreasurers.org. There is also a drop box located by the north doors that will be checked throughout each work day.
I know that there is concern with making payments to the county when there is so much uncertainty going on right now. I encourage anyone with these concerns to call the Treasurer's office and speak with me. There are different options we can explore for motor vehicle renewals and property taxes.
All Iowans with current licenses or ID's, click here for information on obtaining a REAL ID before October 1st, 2021!
What is a REAL ID?
Passed by Congress in 2005, the REAL ID Act enacted the 9/11 Commission's recommendation that the Federal Government “set standards for the issuance of sources of identification, such as driver's licenses.” The Act established minimum security standards for state-issued driver's licenses and identification cards and prohibits Federal agencies from accepting for official purposes licenses and identification cards from states that do not meet these standards. States have made considerable progress in meeting this key recommendation of the 9/11 Commission and every state has a more secure driver's license today than before the passage of the Act.
Are you new to the State? Do you have a current Iowa Driver's License or ID card, but would like to get one marked REAL ID compliant?
Find out what documents you need for any of the above here!
Click below to view and/or pay your property taxes or vehicle registration online!
Accepted On-Line Payment Methods-eCheck, Discover, MasterCard and Visa are accepted for Internet transactions.
You can now access the Assessor Property Information on each parcel from Step 3 of the property tax application.
If you would like to mail your payment, please make checks out to the Jefferson County Treasurer and send them to:
Jefferson County TreasurerPO Box 308Fairfield, IA 52556
Jefferson County Treasurers’ Office:
Court & Briggs (one block north of the Fairfield Square)
Fairfield, Iowa 52556
PO Box 308
Fairfield, Iowa 52556
Handicap access is located on the South Side of the building with handicap parking on the East Side.