Until further notice, the Jefferson County Courthouse will be CLOSED to the public.
- Property tax/motor vehicle payments can be sent though the mail (PO Box 308), over the phone (641-472-2340/2349) or online at www.iowatreasurers.org. There is also a drop box located by the north doors that will be checked throughout each work day. We WILL honor the postmark for mail ins.
- The driving skills tests have been indefinitely postponed. We are currently contacting everyone who has a test scheduled between now and April 17th. Rescheduling will be allowed at a later date (TBD).
- Those who need Drivers License can contact the nearest IDOT state stations...Ottumwa (641-382-4855), Burlington (319-754-8767) and Iowa City (319-338-5294).
I know that there is concern with making payments to the county when there is so much uncertainty going on right now. I encourage anyone with these concerns to call the Treasurer's office and speak with me. There are different options we can explore for motor vehicle renewals and property taxes.
The Governor has issued a proclamation waiving penalty for property tax payments through April 16th, 2020.
ATTENTION PARENTS OF FMS 8TH GRADE STUDENTS!!!
PERMIT TESTING IS NOW AVAILABLE AT FAIRFIELD MIDDLE SCHOOL!!!
We are excited to offer the Skip the Trip driver knowledge testing program at FMS! Passing the knowledge test is the first requirement needed for an individual to advance through the Graduated Drivers Licensing process.
The operator’s knowledge test has historically only been available at Driver’s License Service Centers or at County Driver’s License stations, but now is available at FMS through an online portal. Skip the Trip provides an opportunity to work with you so that less time is spent away from school, work, and other activities by accessing the testing requirement in a more convenient location.
There was an assembly at FMS where Mark Myers and Sheriff Gregg Morton presented this program and discussed specific laws/legislation that pertain to these new drivers. Students were given a packet (pictured) that includes:
- Iowa Drivers Manual
- Parents Supervised Driving Program Manual
- Quick Reference Guides for Instruction Permits, Minor School and Intermediate licenses
- Letter to students and parents from the Treasurer's office
- Ink pen and bracelet provided by the Iowa Donor Network
All Iowans with current licenses or ID's, click here for information on obtaining a REAL ID before October 1st, 2020!
What is a REAL ID?
Passed by Congress in 2005, the REAL ID Act enacted the 9/11 Commission's recommendation that the Federal Government “set standards for the issuance of sources of identification, such as driver's licenses.” The Act established minimum security standards for state-issued driver's licenses and identification cards and prohibits Federal agencies from accepting for official purposes licenses and identification cards from states that do not meet these standards. States have made considerable progress in meeting this key recommendation of the 9/11 Commission and every state has a more secure driver's license today than before the passage of the Act.
Are you new to the State? Do you have a current Iowa Driver's License or ID card, but would like to get one marked REAL ID compliant?
Find out what documents you need for any of the above here!
Click below to view and/or pay your property taxes or vehicle registration online!
Accepted On-Line Payment Methods-eCheck, Discover, MasterCard and Visa are accepted for Internet transactions.
You can now access the Assessor Property Information on each parcel from Step 3 of the property tax application.
If you would like to mail your payment, please make checks out to the Jefferson County Treasurer and send them to:
Jefferson County TreasurerPO Box 308Fairfield, IA 52556