- Office Hours: Tax Department 8:00 - 4:30 Monday - Friday
- Office Hours: Motor Vehicle 8:00 - 4:30 Monday - Friday
- Office Hours: Drivers License 8:00 - 4:00 Monday - Friday
- Driver License Written Exam 8:00 - 3:30 Monday - Friday
*Effective APRIL 1, 2012 : Mahaska County will DISCONTINUE offering CDL pre-trip, skills and drive tests.
We are no longer able to accommodate the GEOGRAPHICAL REQUIREMENTS for the new STATE MANDATED COMMERCIAL driver license testing
Examples: TRACTOR TRAILERS such as: DRS, Wal-Mart , Tyson's, Large Dump Trucks or School Buses may no longer pre-trip test, skills test, or drive test in Mahaska Co.
We will CONTINUE to offer CDL KNOWLEDGE testing and ISSUANCE of Commercial Driver Licenses.
Mahaska County offers the following knowledge tests, skill tests and drive tests:
CAR DRIVES: for any vehicle under 16,000 GVWR.
MOTORCYCLES: any 2 or 3 wheel - 50 cc's and over.
D-1 Chauffeur: any tractor/trailer semi combination; operating within 150 mile radius of your own farm or from the farm you are employed at, and while transporting FARM PRODUCTS to or from that farm.
D-2 Chauffeur: any truck with the GVWR between 16,001 - 26,000 (example: SCHWANS, UPS, LUMBER CO TRUCKS).
D-3 Chauffeur: no test required
Notice: Liability Insurance will be required for ALL drive tests. ALL drive test times available are subject to change.
DRIVE TESTS, will be given except in case of extreme weather.
Extreme weather is described as but not limited to:
- temperatures at or below 0° degrees F;
- wind chill at or below 0° degrees F;
- conditions where visibility is extremely limited;
- ice covered roads;
- ice covering our CDL skills course.
All situations are subject to the County Treasurer and Drive Examiner’s discretion. If there are any questions please call (641)673-9521.
- Car Drive Test : Monday - Wednesday - Thursday (afternoon only) - Friday - first come first serve
- D-1 Chauffeur and D-2 Chauffeur Drive Test - by appointment only ; Car Drives ~ available if scheduled times permit Tuesday
- Motorcycle Drive Test - by appt. at 9:00 Thursday (morning only)
- Motorcycle Drive Test Location ~ 140 Gateway Drive, Oskaloosa
- (Northeast corner of the Gateway Church of the Nazarene parking lot)
Last car drive test at 3:15 (M-W-Thur (afternoon only) - F), last written test given at 3:30 daily.
Honorably discharged veterans may request the “Veteran” designation be placed on their driver’s license or non-operator identification card. Veteran must present a copy of their DD214 or applicable discharge document to the County or State Veterans Affairs Office to have their eligibility certified. That office and the veteran will complete an Iowa DOT Application form. Note: Veterans may request the “veteran” designation anytime they seek a new card, not just at the time of renewal. The cost for a duplicate DL or nonoperator ID is $10.00. Click here for additional information.
Mahaska County recognizes certain days of importance as holidays. Our office will be closed in observance of these holidays on the following dates:
- January 2, 2017 (in observance of New Year's Day)
- January 16, 2017 Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- February 20, 2017 President's Day
- May 29, 2017 Memorial Day
- July 4, 2017 Independence Day
- September 4, 2017 Labor Day
- November 10, 2017 (in observance of Veteran’s Day)
- November 23 & 24, 2017 Thanksgiving Day & Friday after
- December 22 & 25, 2017 (in observance of Christmas Eve and Christmas Day)