|Online Payment Services
Discover, MasterCard, Visa and eCheck are accepted for internet transactions; 7 days a week, 24 hours a day! A service delivery fee will apply.
- Pay Property Taxes on-line; You may pay current and delinquent tax on-line.
- Tax Sale Certificates MAY NOT BE REDEEMED ON-LINE, or over the phone. You MAY redeem by mail, or in our office.
- Tax Sale redemptions made between May 1 - July 31, must be paid with CERTIFIED FUNDS (cash, cashier check, money order; or we will accept a debit or credit card [additional fees apply].) CERTIFIED FUNDS are also required, upon receipt of Tax Sale Completed Service Affidavit, including 90-Day Notice of Expiration of Right of Redemption. If you have questions, please contact our office at 641-673-5482.
- Pay Your Vehicle tags; you may purchase vehicle tags on-line.
VEHICLE TAG RENEWALS: You are eligible to renew on-line if you received a renewal notice through the US Postal Service that contains a PIN Number for on-line renewals. However, if SR22 Proof of Insurance is required, or you owe a state debt, (i.e., income tax debt, child support recovery debt, or student loan debt), the vehicle does NOT qualify for on-line renewal.
In Office Payment Services
*Property Tax and Motor Vehicle Departments - cash, check, credit or debit Discover, MasterCard, or Visa.
*Drivers License Department - cash, check, credit or debit.
- Office Hours: Tax Department 8:00 - 4:30 Monday - Friday
- Office Hours: Motor Vehicle 8:00 - 4:30 Monday - Friday
- Office Hours: Drivers License 8:00 - 4:00 Monday - Friday
- Driver License Written Exam 8:00 - 4:00 Monday - Friday
*For those persons born in Iowa from May 1993 through October 2009 the wallet size birth certificate will still be accepted as proper identification for business at drivers license stations. You may however exchange the wallet size document for a full size document through the Iowa Department of Public Health at no charge if you wish. http://www.idph.iowa.gov/health-statistics/request-record; or you may contact your local County Recorder to see if you may make the exchange locally.
Mahaska County offers the following knowledge tests, skill and drive tests:
CAR DRIVES: for any vehicle under 16,000 GVWR.
D-2 Chauffeur: any truck with the GVWR between 16,001 - 26,000 (example: SCHWANS, UPS, LUMBER CO TRUCKS).
D-3 Chauffeur: vehicles for 16 passengers or less including the driver.
MOTORCYCLES: any 2 or 3 wheel - 50 cc's and over.
Notice: Liability Insurance will be required for ALL drive tests.
Mahaska County offers CDL knowledge tests and provides issuance of Commercial Driver License. Please visit the Iowa DOT site for locations offering CDL skill and drive testing.
ALL DRIVE TEST times available are subject to change. Drive testing will be cancelled in case of extreme weather.
Extreme weather is described as but not limited to:
- temperatures at or below 0° degrees F;
- wind chill at or below 0° degrees F;
- conditions where visibility is extremely limited;
- ice covered roads.
- if STORM WARNING is in effect.
All situations are subject to the County Treasurer and Drive Examiner’s discretion.
Please contact our office at 641-673-9521 if you have any questions. All drive test times available are subject to change.
- Car Drive Test: Monday - Wednesday - Friday - first come first serve during the hours of 8:10-10:30 and 2:10-3:10.
- D-2 Chauffeur Drive Test: Tuesday - by appointment ONLY
- Motorcycle Drive Test: Thursday 8:30 - 10:00 a.m. by appointment ONLY
- Motorcycle Drive Test Location ~ 140 Gateway Drive, Oskaloosa
- (Northeast corner of the Gateway Church of the Nazarene parking lot)
Last car drive test at 3:15 (M-W-F)
ONE computer testing station - first come first serve, operational 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (testing will be ended at 4:00) daily.
Honorably discharged veterans may request the “Veteran” designation be placed on their driver’s license or non-operator identification card. Veteran must present a copy of their DD214 or applicable discharge document to the County or State Veterans Affairs Office to have their eligibility certified. That office and the veteran will complete an Iowa DOT Application form. Note: Veterans may request the “veteran” designation anytime they seek a new card, not just at the time of renewal. The cost for a duplicate DL or nonoperator ID is $10.00. Click here for additional information.
Mahaska County recognizes certain days of importance as holidays. Our office will be closed in observance of these holidays on the following dates:
- January 1, 2020 New Year's Day
- January 20, 2020 Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- February 17, 2020 President's Day
- May 25, 2020 Memorial Day
- July 3, 2020 In observance of Independence Day
- September 7, 2020 Labor Day
- November 11, 2020 Veteran’s Day
- November 26 & 27, 2020 Thanksgiving Day and Friday after
- December 24 & 25, 2020 Christmas Eve and Christmas Day
Mahaska County Treasurer 106 South First Street Oskaloosa, IA 52577
The Mahaska County Courthouse is centrally located in Oskaloosa, Iowa. We are located at 106 South First Street adjacent to the town square. Handicap parking is available on the north side of the Courthouse as well as a handicap accessible ramp.
The Treasurers office (Tax and Automobile/Drivers License) is on the first floor of the Courthouse. You will enter the Courthouse on the ground level. Go up one flight of stairs to the first floor, an elevator is also available. The Treasurers office is to the right.
The Treasurers office consists of the Tax and Automobile/Drivers License Departments. All three departments are clearly marked with signs above each door for your convenience.
Connie J Van Polen
took office 1/01/2019
I was hired 1/01/1995 as a clerk in the Treasurer's Property Tax Department. On 7/01/1996 I was promoted to deputy in the Treasurer's Property Tax Department. 1/01/2003 I was promoted to 1st Deputy Treasurer of Mahaska County.
|POPULATION - RANKING
22,197 - 28th
Thank you for visiting our web-site.
Property tax collectable
September 2019/March 2020 were certified August 2, 2019.
Property tax statements were mailed August 5, 2019.
If you did not receive your property tax statement(s), please contact our office to verify/update your mailing address.
We are pleased to offer you online payment services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week; as well as in office services Monday - Friday.
We strive to provide you with personal and professional service at the local level.
If you need assistance or if you have any questions regarding property tax, motor vehicle or driver license, please contact me or my staff by email or by phone. Thank you.
Connie J Van Polen