- Office Hours: Tax Department 8:00 - 4:30 Monday - Friday
- Office Hours: Motor Vehicle 8:00 - 4:30 Monday - Friday
- Office Hours: Drivers License 8:00 - 4:00 Monday - Friday
- Driver License Written Exam 8:00 - 4:00 Monday - Friday
*For those persons born in Iowa from May 1993 through October 2009 the wallet size birth certificate will still be accepted as proper identification for business at drivers license stations. You may however exchange the wallet size document for a full size document through the Iowa Department of Public Health at no charge if you wish. http://www.idph.iowa.gov/health-statistics/request-record; or you may contact your local County Recorder to see if you may make the exchange locally.
Mahaska County offers the following knowledge tests, skill and drive tests:
CAR DRIVES: for any vehicle under 16,000 GVWR.
D-2 Chauffeur: any truck with the GVWR between 16,001 - 26,000 (example: SCHWANS, UPS, LUMBER CO TRUCKS).
D-3 Chauffeur: vehicles for 16 passengers or less including the driver.
MOTORCYCLES: any 2 or 3 wheel - 50 cc's and over.
Notice: Liability Insurance will be required for ALL drive tests.
We offer CDL knowledge tests and provide issuance of Commerical Driver Licenses.
Mahaska County has discontinued CDL skill and drive testing. You may check the Iowa DOT's website to see who offers CDL skill and drive testing.
ALL DRIVE TEST times available are subject to change. Drive testing will be cancelled in case of extreme weather.
Extreme weather is described as but not limited to:
- temperatures at or below 0° degrees F;
- wind chill at or below 0° degrees F;
- conditions where visibility is extremely limited;
- ice covered roads.
All situations are subject to the County Treasurer and Drive Examiner’s discretion.
Please contact our office at 641-673-9521 if you have any questions. All drive test times available are subject to change.
- Car Drive Test : Monday - Wednesday - Friday - first come first serve during the hours of 8:10-10:30 and 2:10-3:10.
- D-2 Chauffeur Drive Test - by appointment only ; Car Drives ~ available if scheduled times permit Tuesday
- Motorcycle Drive Test - by appt. at 9:00 Thursday (morning only)
- Motorcycle Drive Test Location ~ 140 Gateway Drive, Oskaloosa
- (Northeast corner of the Gateway Church of the Nazarene parking lot)
Last car drive test at 3:15 (M-W-F)
ONE computer testing station - first come first serve, operational 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (testing will be ended at 4:00) daily.
Honorably discharged veterans may request the “Veteran” designation be placed on their driver’s license or non-operator identification card. Veteran must present a copy of their DD214 or applicable discharge document to the County or State Veterans Affairs Office to have their eligibility certified. That office and the veteran will complete an Iowa DOT Application form. Note: Veterans may request the “veteran” designation anytime they seek a new card, not just at the time of renewal. The cost for a duplicate DL or nonoperator ID is $10.00. Click here for additional information.
Mahaska County recognizes certain days of importance as holidays. Our office will be closed in observance of these holidays on the following dates:
- January 1, 2019 New Year's Day
- January 21, 2019 Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- February 18 2019 President's Day
- May 27, 2019 Memorial Day
- July 4, 2019 Independence Day
- September 2, 2019 Labor Day
- November 11, 2019 Veteran’s Day
- November 28 & 29, 2019 Thanksgiving Day and Friday after
- December 24 & 25, 2019 Christmas Eve and Christmas Day