Welcome to Wapello County
Ottumwa, IA 52501
We are open to the public with limits in place.
**We are strongly encouraging the public to continue doing business online and through the mail if possible.**
My staff and I thank you for your cooperation during these unprecedented and trying times. By working together, we will get through this. We are honored to be able to serve our customers in person once again and at the same time, we wish to maintain a safe and healthy environment for all of us.
Property Tax Department:
- Limit three customers in the office at a time.
- Only the person conducting business will be allowed in the office unless assistance is required
Motor Vehicle Department:
- Limit six customers in the office at a time.
- Only the person conducting business will be allowed in the office unless assistance is required.
- If you have Specialty Plates to pick up we ask that you call and make an appointment (641-683-4636).
Due to the continued spread of COVID-19, if you are ill, have symptoms, have recently been ill, or have been around someone who is ill, has been ill or has had symptoms, we ask that you do not come to our office. Call and we will assist you over the phone and direct you in how to complete your business with our office. This measure is to ensure your safety as well as the safety of our staff. We appreciate your cooperation and are sorry for any inconvenience this causes.
Please continue to check back for updates should anything change.
NOTICE: Beginning February 1, 2020, we will require a Bill of Sale for transferring vehicle titles. Bill of Sale flyer February 2020
Bill of Sale
If you're Paying Online:
Payments may be made online using an E-Check, Mastercard, Visa, or Discover. A service delivery fee will apply. You will need a current receipt number (tax) or PIN (vehicle) to pay online. Call one of our offices for assistance.
If your E-Check does not "Clear," whether due to lack of funds, or incorrect entry of your ABA or account numbers, a twenty dollar fee will be charged.
Pay Property Taxes; The statements for the taxes payable in September 2020, and in March 2021 were mailed on August 11, 2020. Taxes become due September 1st and March 1st, and delinquent October 1st and April 1st.
Pay Your Vehicle tags; To renew your car license online, you must have a pin number and be free of "Stops," placed on your records by the State of Iowa.
2020 Tax Sale Information - The 2020 Wapello County Tax Sale was suspended in June 2020, per the Governor's Proclamation of Disaster Emergency. Please contact our office for details.
RE: TAX SALE REDEMPTIONS
In order to redeem a tax sale certificate, you will have to pay in the office or by mail. You may call for the amount due. However, between May 1 and July 31, you must pay with certified funds (cash, cashier check, money order or we will accept a debit or credit card [additional fees apply].) We also require certified funds if a 90-Day Notice of Expiration of Right of Redemption has been served. If you have any questions, please call our office at 641-683-0040.
Office Hours and Locations
- Tax Department, 2nd Floor of the Courthouse, 101 W. Fourth St: 8:00 - 4:30 Monday - Friday
- Motor Vehicle Department (Main Office), 102 East Main St: 8:00 - 4:30 Monday - Friday
- Motor Vehicle, (Satellite Office) 2849 N Court St.: 8:45 - 4:30 Tuesday - Friday; 8:00 - 1:00 Saturday
- Tax Department Tax Deputies: Sandy Billings and Valerie Mc Elroy
- Motor Vehicle Department Motor Vehicle Deputies: Theresa Shipley and Melody Johns
2021 County Holidays
- January 1, New Year's Day
- January 18, Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- February 15, President's Day
- May 31, Memorial Day
- July 5, Independence Day
- September 6, Labor Day
- November 11, Veteran's Day
- November 25, Thanksgiving Day
- November 26, Day After Thanksgiving
- December 24, Christmas Eve
- December 25, Christmas
- December 31, New Year's Day
Laurie L. Fountain
Took Office 1/01/2019
I started working in the Treasurer's Office
March 1, 2007, promoted to Delinquent
Tax Collector January 1, 2013, and was
appointed as Tax Deputy in January 2015.
ABOUT WAPELLO COUNTY
My staff and I welcome you to the Wapello
County Treasurer's website where
you can conduct business with us 24/7.
Our goal is to make your business
transactions with our office as convenient
and pleasant as possible while providing
you with accurate and efficient service.
Please feel free to contact me by phone
at 641-683-0040 or by email at